Dealing With My Kidney Stent
by Charlene Crosthwaite
Last May I was diagnosed with a kidney mass which, luckily turned out to be benign and a 1.7 centimeter size kidney stone. I was given Percocet and anti-nausea medication to take.
Two weeks after I had the kidney biopsy, I spent a Saturday mowing our lawn. At the end of the day my left side was aching and my back was sore. By Monday my urine was a strange red-brown color, so I called the urologist's office and the nurse told me that the urine probably contained old blood from the biopsy. She told me to drink lots of water and take some Tylenol, but that I really shouldn't be having any pain. The pain continued through Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday morning I was in agony. Tylenol did nothing and the Percocet made me feel sick even with the anti-nausea meds.
My urine was bright blood red. At the ER the physician's assistant did an ultrasound and wanted a urine specimen (which I couldn't give even with an IV). It took six people to insert a catheter for the urine specimen. By the time they were done I was bleeding inside and out. I was told I was passing two small kidney stones and given more anti-nausea meds and another prescription for Percocet (which I didn't get) and then sent home.
I was home for just a few hours when the meds wore off. I took the anti-nausea meds and one Percocet and started vomiting within minutes. I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. My husband wanted to
call an ambulance, but I refused.
Back at the ER the doctor now on duty did another ultrasound and said he knew exactly why I was in so much pain...the large stone in my kidney was completely blocking the tube. He offered us three choices...send me home with pain patches (he didn't think it was a great idea), admit me to his hospital even though there was no urologist on duty until Monday and keep me medicated, neither of which would move the stone that had already caused my kidney to swell or contact another doctor and see if he could find someone to see me as soon as possible. He explained that there was a huge risk of a massive kidney infection if we waited. We had him make some phone calls.
He contacted a urologist in Hartford who put me on the surgery schedule for the very next morning to insert a kidney stent. I was taken by ambulance and the stent was inserted that Friday morning. Just before the surgery I passed the two kidney stones and they had them tested. At this point I've had two lithotripsies.
The stent has been uncomfortable, but it's easier to live with than dealing with a stone blocking the tube. The stent has been in place since the 21st of June 2013 and with any luck will be removed soon and the stones will be gone. I go next Tuesday for the K. U. B. x-ray to see if the stones are now gone. At this point I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are.