Dealing With My Kidney Stent

by Charlene Crosthwaite
(Willimantic, CT)

Last May I was diagnosed with a kidney mass which, luckily turned out to be benign and a 1.7 centimeter size kidney stone. I was given Percocet and anti-nausea medication to take.

Two weeks after I had the kidney biopsy, I spent a Saturday mowing our lawn. At the end of the day my left side was aching and my back was sore. By Monday my urine was a strange red-brown color, so I called the urologist's office and the nurse told me that the urine probably contained old blood from the biopsy. She told me to drink lots of water and take some Tylenol, but that I really shouldn't be having any pain. The pain continued through Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday morning I was in agony. Tylenol did nothing and the Percocet made me feel sick even with the anti-nausea meds.

My urine was bright blood red. At the ER the physician's assistant did an ultrasound and wanted a urine specimen (which I couldn't give even with an IV). It took six people to insert a catheter for the urine specimen. By the time they were done I was bleeding inside and out. I was told I was passing two small kidney stones and given more anti-nausea meds and another prescription for Percocet (which I didn't get) and then sent home.

I was home for just a few hours when the meds wore off. I took the anti-nausea meds and one Percocet and started vomiting within minutes. I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. My husband wanted to
call an ambulance, but I refused.

Back at the ER the doctor now on duty did another ultrasound and said he knew exactly why I was in so much pain...the large stone in my kidney was completely blocking the tube. He offered us three choices...send me home with pain patches (he didn't think it was a great idea), admit me to his hospital even though there was no urologist on duty until Monday and keep me medicated, neither of which would move the stone that had already caused my kidney to swell or contact another doctor and see if he could find someone to see me as soon as possible. He explained that there was a huge risk of a massive kidney infection if we waited. We had him make some phone calls.

He contacted a urologist in Hartford who put me on the surgery schedule for the very next morning to insert a kidney stent. I was taken by ambulance and the stent was inserted that Friday morning. Just before the surgery I passed the two kidney stones and they had them tested. At this point I've had two lithotripsies.

The stent has been uncomfortable, but it's easier to live with than dealing with a stone blocking the tube. The stent has been in place since the 21st of June 2013 and with any luck will be removed soon and the stones will be gone. I go next Tuesday for the K. U. B. x-ray to see if the stones are now gone. At this point I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are.

Comments for Dealing With My Kidney Stent

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 11, 2016
by: Anonymous

Thank you very much for this post. It is very helpful. I just found out I have a 9 mm stone in the way ureter tube and was unsure what ito expect if they had to break it up or do surgery.

Oct 01, 2014
Stone Free in 2014
by: Charlene Crosthwaite

After having a second blockage in October 2013, my urologist setup a third lithotripsy to blast the 10 mm stone that was causing the blockage just before the Thanksgiving holiday!
I was dreading having another kidney stent inserted and was thrilled when my urologist told me that he didn't think I would need to have another kidney stent inserted. I really just wanted to hug him! Then hoped to God that he was right and I could get through the ordeal without the stent.
After the lithotripsy was done, there was just a little bit of bleeding and for the first week nothing seemed to be passing at all. I was hoping that the stone was blasted so small that it was powder. Not my luck! Within a week and a half, I was having terrible pain and when I saw blood I got a bit worried, so I called my urologist's office. I was given Rapaflow samples and took tylenol during the day and tramadol at night. Finally after several days of the pain not easing, I was told that another KUB x-ray needed to be done! It was discovered that there wasn't another blockage problem, but some of the stones were a bit bigger and oddly shaped (one like a football). Keeping my fingers crossed that they would pass, I continued to drink LOTS of water and lemonade. Eventually the pain started to ease. Then one morning I felt like my bladder was about the burst, but when I tried to go there was only a trickle and some slight burning along with pinkish colored urine. The pressure of a full bladder and a slight pushing on my part suddenly brought about a kerplunk into the catch container and finally I was able to empty my bladder. I was shocked and surprised at the size of stone and felt so relieved (in more ways than one).
On my next appointment in the middle of December, I handed the specimen container to the doctor who looks at them, then smiled as he wiggled the container in his hand to shake the stones and told me that the football shaped stone was the one that showed up the clearest on the x-ray. These stones were about 6 mm in size. That left one 4 mm stone in the lower pole of the kidney! Again I was told it would probably stay there! NOT! I continued to take Theralith XR and drink LOTS of lemonade. At the end of March 2014, after doing another followup appointment with my urologist, I started to have symptoms of a UTI. I waited a few days and the symptoms seemed to go away. The CT scan that was done two weeks later showed NO MORE STONES AT ALL. I had passed the 4 mm stone!
Ask your urologist if you really need the kidney stent. Perhaps there is a chance that you don't.
I'm writing this now because I've just had another followup with my urologist. There are NO MORE STONES...NO EVEN ANY GRIT...NOTHING! He told me that whatever I was doing that I should continue to do it!
I have followed a low oxalate diet for just over a year. Lost thirty pounds and plan to take off lots more. Have I cheated a few times, YES! He actually told me I could add some foods back into my diet, but I hesitate to do so for fear of forming more stones. I watch my salt intake and continue to drink LOTS of water and green tea (at least 64 ozs daily) along with lemonade at least a couple of times a week. I've also added frozen lemon ice a few times a week. I have upped the Theralith XR to the four tablets daily on a full stomach.
If I can do can do it too. For anyone out there with calcium oxalate stones, try it. It might also work with other kinds of stones...can't hurt to try it!
I consider myself lucky to be able to work with a great doctor and his staff. Don't be afraid to ask questions. After all, it's your health and your body!
My experience shows that not every procedure calls for a kidney stent!

Sep 12, 2013
Recovering from Kidney Stent Removal
by: Charlene Crosthwaite

At this point (Thursday, 12 Sept. 2013), it has been one week since my kidney stent was removed in the doctor's office.
I actually thought that by last Friday that I would feel better and the pain would be about gone. WRONG! I ended up staying on perscription pain meds throughout Saturday. Sunday I managed with just tylenol, but was still feeling spasms and pain in my side and back.
I had also taken the remainder of Thursday and all day Friday off from work.
On Monday morning I returned to work (I drive a school bus). By Monday night, I was hurting so bad, I took a hot shower (these seem to help a lot) and a perscription pain med then crawled into bed. At that time I figured I would give it till Thursday and if I didn't feel better, I would call the doctor's office.
Tuesday morning I decided to take two tylenol before heading out the door to work. By Tuesday afternoon, I was tired by not having the pain I had previously experienced.
By Wednesday the pain had all but disappeared. I still had some back pain, but that could be because of the mass that remains on my kidney along with some stones in the bottom of it.
Not sure if the pain would have been gone sooner if the stent hadn't been encrusted with stones and pieces.
Next K. U. B. x-ray to be done in October. Just hope the remaining stones stay away from the ureter.

Sep 03, 2013
Kidney Stones and Kidney Stent
by: Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Charlene. I hope everything turns out alright. Hopefully you won't develop any more stones... and will have no need for another kidney stent. Remember to drink lots of water and watch your diet!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Kidney Stent Reviews.